Tips to Avoid Emergency Furnace Repair in Livonia, MI
You rely on your furnace to keep you warm and comfortable throughout the fall and winter months, but what do you do when your furnace suddenly stops working? Temperatures throughout south east Michigan can dip well below freezing, and without the help of your furnace, the temperature in your home can become unbearably cold, and pipes may freeze and ultimately burst. When this happens, your only option is to call for emergency furnace repair, but you can help avoid this costly headache, with the following tips.
When you need furnace repairs to keep your family comfortable during Michigan’s harsh winters, call Ehlers Heating & Air Conditioning at (248) 579-2362!
When it comes to heating and cooling equipment, you get what you pay for. You have no say over the quality of a furnace which was already installed when you bought your home, but when it comes time for you to choose, quality wins out over price every time.
Keep It Professional
Your furnace is only as good as the contractor who installed it. Poor installation is a contributing factor to furnace failure, beginning with improper sizing. A furnace that is too small for your home may struggle, or even fail, to reach your desired set point, necessitating the use of an extra layer or two through the coldest part of the season, but a furnace that’s too large is even worse. While it will have no problem keeping your home warm, it will short cycle, a phenomenon that occurs when your home heats and cools too quickly. Short cycling reduces efficiency, but it also causes unnecessary wear and tear on parts, and can cause premature equipment failure. Additional installation issues include:
- Malfunctioning Blower Motor – Poorly or inadequately installed ductwork can force your blower to work harder than necessary, to overcompensate for reduced airflow, stemming from leaks or improperly sealed joints.
- Tripped Pressure Switch – This switch is made to be triggered during a catastrophic event, but may shut down randomly due to negligent installation practices which block or trip the switch.
- Faulty Controls – Control boards can malfunction if airflow is hampered, or they sustain moisture damage.
Schedule Preventive Maintenance
Having your contractor perform annual maintenance on your furnace, where they inspect, clean, and tune your entire heating system, is your best chance of avoiding emergency furnace repairs. In addition to extending the lifespan of your furnace, scheduling maintenance each fall allows your contractor to identify minor issues before they become bigger, and complete any necessary repairs before heating season begins.
Change Your Furnace Filter
Your air filter prevents debris and particulate from circulating throughout your ductwork, and furnace components, where they can cause premature system failure. Change your filter every 4 to 6 weeks during peak heating season for best results.
Out With Old, In With The New
Frequent repairs, increasing energy bills, and discomfort, coupled with an aging furnace, are signs you need to replace the old, with the new. Upgrade to a newer, more energy efficient model to avoid emergency furnace repairs, and be sure to hire a reliable, professional contractor to size, and install your new furnace.
Furnace Repair in Livonia, MI
When you need furnace repair in your Livonia home, count on Ehlers Heating & Air Conditioning. When you choose Ehlers, we promise that:
- Your tech will ask you the right questions to make sure that we provide what you want and need
- We will offer Carrier products, the quality leader in home heating and cooling
- Each employee is thoroughly trained to see your job through from start to finish
- Every unit we sell and install will perform up to your expectations
- We will provide prompt, professional, and complete service to keep your systems operating at peak efficiency
Get a Free Quote
Bills Properly maintained systems use 10%-15% less energy.